Accessibility disclaimer: To obtain information contained in document files on this page in an accessible format please contact the Conflict of Interest Office for Bloomington and Regionals by phone: (812) 856-1706 or email: email@example.com. For IUPUI and Hospitals by phone: (317) 274-7307 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Complete a Disclosure
Completing and submitting disclosures
Anyone responsible for the design, conduct, or reporting of research or sponsored programs at Indiana University—including principal investigators, project directors, consultants, students, non-paid volunteers, and others—must complete an annual research-related conflict of interest disclosure form.Complete a research-related conflict of interest disclosure form
Your research need not be funded for you to be considered an investigator. It is up to you to determine which of your research project personnel have responsibility for designing, collecting, or reporting research and are thus required to complete an annual research-related financial interest disclosure form.
What has to be disclosed?
Generally, interests and income that are valued at more $5,000 must be disclosed, as well as any ownership interest in privately held businesses, no matter what the value. For these purposes, you must combine your interests plus the interests of your spouse and dependent children. Certain limited exceptions apply. Please carefully review the form’s questions and instructions as well as the accompanying information about the policy included as part of the disclosure form.
When do disclosures have to happen?
The research-related conflict of interest disclosure must be completed annually, and within 30 days of a change in interest or when new interests occur; including reimbursed or sponsored travel. Changes to financial interest include, but are not limited to:
- A new significant financial interest
- Change in the type of financial interest (i.e. reduction in stock, additional compensation)
- Elimination of financial interest
How do I submit or update a disclosure?
IU uses the Kuali Conflict of Interest disclosure system. This system allows researchers to submit and update their annual research-related conflict of interest (COI) disclosure form and disclose any new financial interests. After your first submission, you will receive automated email reminders from Kuali COI 30 days prior to your disclosure expiration date, based on your last date of approval.
If you do not have an IU Username, submit your annual disclosure using the manual Disclosure Form.
Submit or update your annual disclosure via Kuali COI
- Using your IU Network ID and password, log in to Kuali COI via One.IU.edu (two-step CAS-authentication required). Please note: The most compatible browser for the Kuali COI system is Google Chrome.
- Click the “Start” button to open your “My Disclosures” user dashboard.
- Click the “Create Disclosure” button and follow the system prompts to complete a new disclosure, OR
- Click the “Update Disclosure” button and follow the system prompts to update your disclosure.
- After submitting your disclosure, you will be redirected to your “My Disclosures” dashboard.
- From your dashboard, you may confirm your disclosure status. A status should reflect either “Up-to-Date” or “Submitted for Approval” in the status column.
- Disclosures with a status of “Submitted for Approval” will be further reviewed by the COI office. Once approved, a system-generated email will be sent confirming the approval.
- Disclosures approved at submission will not receive an approval email in confirmation. Approval status is confirmed in your user dashboard, which immediately reflects a status of “Up-to-Date”.
If your status correctly reflects your submission, close your browser to exit the Kuali COI system.