Accessibility disclaimer: To obtain information contained in document files on this page in an accessible format please contact the Office of Research Administration via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Best practices for managing effort
Payroll is the largest component of most sponsored awards. The following summary of best practices and available tools for ongoing compensation management can help guide and assist you in this task.
- Monitor and reconcile accounts on a monthly basis–Research Administration Dashboard–Tableau Institutional Base Salary (IBS) Payroll. Review salary charges with the principal investigator and make corrections, generating eDocs in a timely manner.
- Monitor cost share and salary cap commitments: IUIE Labor Ledger Entry View.
- Appoint personnel to the correct accounts to minimize salary transfers.
- Avoid retroactive payroll.
- If changes to effort are needed, verify with IU’s Office of Research Administration that a final financial report has not been submitted to the sponsor.
- Check effort certification for accuracy during the review period; see Guidance for Document Routing and Approval (Accessible 02/18/19).
- Review and approve effort certifications within the compliance period; see Searching for Effort Certification Documents in KFS (Accessible 02/18/19).