Accessibility disclaimer: To obtain information contained in document files on this page in an accessible format please contact the Office of Research Administration via email at email@example.com.
Best Practices and Requirements
Requirements for managing effort
Best practices for managing effort
Payroll is the largest component of most sponsored awards. The following summary of best practices for ongoing compensation.
- Appoint personnel to the correct accounts to minimize salary transfers.
- Utilize Advance Accounts to document valid effort expended on a project prior to award set up.
- Review salary charges with the principal investigator and make corrections, generating eDocs in a timely manner.
- Avoid retroactive payroll.
- Review awards in advance of expiration to ensure appropriate costs are charged.
- If a final financial report has been submitted to the sponsor, additional salary charges will not be allowed.
- Modify eDocs to ensure employees are charged appropriately moving forward.
- Notify ORA in advance of project directors (PI's) leaving the University
- Primary award PI's on any federal or federal pass through awards terminating employment with Indiana University may be required to confirm project statements for effort charged to those projects.
- See a flowchart of the process for PI's leaving IU.
The Office of Research Administration provides a number of tools to assist departments with the management of compensation on sponsored awards and to support compliance with federal regulation and IU Policy. Please visit the Compensation Management Tools webpage for more information.