Animal facility inspections
By law, at least once every six months, the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee inspects animal facilities and satellite facilities—including procedural areas, animal housing rooms, and any vehicle used to transport animals.
Inspections vary by institution and facility. In general, the committee will evaluate:
- Appropriateness of facilities, personnel, and equipment
- Cleanliness of facilities, lab areas, and equipment
- Safety of areas for personnel
- Conditions of the animals
- Personnel training records
- Records for surgery, anesthesia, and post-operative care
- Euthanasia equipment
- Storage and expiration date of pharmaceuticals, including related records
- Animal husbandry
You will receive an email outlining any deficiencies and the timeline for correcting them. If a significant deficiency is not corrected within the timeline, the deficiency is reported to the appropriate federal agency, grant agency, and institutional official.