Accessibility disclaimer: To obtain information contained in document files on this page in an accessible format please contact the Office of Research Administration via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
No Cost Extensions & Sponsor Prior Approvals
Modifying or adding time to your sponsored project
The period of performance for your project is established in the sponsor award agreement. If additional time is needed to complete the work approved in the award agreement, you can request an extension of the project period beyond the original end date. This is known as a no cost extension.
It may also become necessary to modify other aspects of your original award during the life of the project. The university has the authority to grant some approvals, but others require prior approval from the sponsor.
Requesting a no cost extension
- Begin the process by reviewing your award document for instructions. Who should receive the request and how is it submitted? Is a sponsor electronic system used, or is email the mechanism for submission?
- Generally a written request is submitted outlining the need for additional time to complete the project aims.
- All extension requests should go to the Office of Research Administration for review and submission to the sponsor.
- Consult the IU policy on Overdrafts, Bad Debts and Audit Disallowances on Sponsored Programs to determine if a request requires routing with a Kuali Coeus Proposal Development document. Whether or not a KC document is required, the Office of Research Administration must review, sign, and submit the request to the sponsor. Your grant administrator can help you with the process.
Approvals for other project changes
During the course of your project, other necessary changes may also require sponsor approval. The process for obtaining approval is the same as for no cost extensions. Examples of other changes include:
- Change in project scope or objective
- Carry-forward of unexpended balances to subsequent funding year
- Change in the principal investigator/project director specified in the award
- No cost extension request greater than 12 months
- Subawarding, or transferring out any work under a federal award
- Transfer of funds for participant support costs to another category
- Disengagement from the project for more than three months, or a 25 percent reduction in time devoted to the project by the approved principal investigator/project director
Federal Guide to prior approval requirements
Multiple federal agencies (NSF, DOE, NIH, USDA, DOC, and NASA) participate in the Federal Demonstration Partnership that has developed a Prior Approval Matrix as a guide to prior approval requirements.
Not all approvals are by award modification. Some are provided by email notification from the sponsor’s program or grants officer. The method of notification depends on the sponsor requirements and the type of request.
When the Office of Research Administration receives sponsor approval, your IU account will be modified, if approval is via formal modification to your award. In other cases, you will be provided the approval to proceed but no change may be required to your account. Revised budgets approved by the sponsor necessitate a budget adjustment to your account. The Office of Research Administration will handle processing any required changes to the account or budget.