If you are a research partner with Indiana University, such as IU Health, but do not have an IU email account, you can still access CITI training at IU, at no cost to you. Refer to Registering with CITI as a NEW IU-affiliate learner
If your role requires you to interact with other IU systems, you may be required to obtain a sponsored IU affiliate account. Your primary investigator determines if your role requires an IU affiliate account. For more information on IU affiliate accounts, visit One.IU and search for 'Affiliate Accounts'.
IMPORTANT: CITI records are not reflected in IU systems without an IU username and email address as the primary email address in your CITI account. Non-IU partners are to provide completion certificates to attach to protocol submissions, as proof of completion. The completion certificate must list requirements set by Indiana University/IU Health. For instructions, refer to Need a copy of your CITI completion record? on the CITI Training at IU page.
What if I am required to take CITI training for more than one institution?
CITI allows you to affiliate with multiple institutions. If you already have an account in CITI, and want to affiliate your account with IU, refer to Already have a CITI account? Transfer courses to Indiana University/IU Health on the CITI Training at IU page.
An IU-affiliate learner completing CITI training, as required by Indiana University/IU Health, does NOT incur the same cost as a true "Independent Learner". (see Learners: How To Take Courses).
To create a new IU-affiliate learner account and begin CITI training follow these instructions:
- Access CITI Learner Registration;
- Enter "Indiana University" in the "Select Your Organization Affiliation" search box;
- Select "Indiana University/IU Health" in the institutional drop-down;
- Click to accept the “I AGREE to the Terms of Service for accessing CITI Program Materials” (read terms of service);
- Click to affirm you are an affiliate of Indiana University/IU Health;
- Select “Continue to Create Your CITI Program Username/Password”;
- From the “CITI – Learner Registration: Indiana University/IU Health” Page:
- Enter the Personal Information requested and continue to Step 3;
- Enter requested information to create your new CITI Username and Password, continue to Step 4;
- Add Country of Residence, continue to Step 5;
- Answer "No" to question relating to interest in receiving CEU credit (IU does not provide), skip the Type of Credit selection;
- Answer “No” (or Yes if interested ) to question relating to contact for marketing information;
- Answer "No" (or Yes if interested) to be added as a CITI research survey program contact, continue to Step 6;
- Answer language preference;
- For Institutional Email Address, enter your own personal email address (or active email address where messages are managed);
- Gender, Highest Degree, Employee # are non-required fields (may be left blank);
- For Department, enter the related IU Department Name;
- Select “Role in Research”;
- Address fields, Country, Phone # are non-required fields (may be left blank), continue to Step 7;
- In the "Select Curriculum" section, answer each question according to the area of research in which you are participating. Also see What courses should I take?
- Important: Answers selected in this section will populate your IU-required CITI coursework within your new CITI account.
- Once all questions in the "Select Curriculum" section have been answered, click "Complete Registration" and "Finalize Registration".
- To begin training, click the "Indiana University/IU Health Courses" institution option bar in the main window.
- Click to select a course, complete the "Integrity Assurance Statement" located at top of page (only required once annually) and click on the first course module to begin your training.