In light of the increasing spread of COVID-19 and Governor Holcomb’s March 23, 2020 executive order, additional restrictions are being placed on the conduct of IU research, including a definition of Essential Research Activities. We are highlighting a few important changes below, and please see the IU Office of the Vice President for Research page for full details.
Human Subjects (IRB)
- All human subjects research taking place remotely, virtually, or otherwise in a non-in-person manner may and should continue without interruption
- If possible, any in-person human subjects research should be converted to being conducted virtually or remotely
- All other in-person human subjects research must cease unless such activities are registered by the PI as Essential Research Activities, at the COVID-19 Research Guidance page. Contact Beth Johnson, HRPP Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Animal Care & Use (IACUC)
- Please refer to the communication sent to IACUC PIs on March 24, 2020. PIs should follow the steps on the COVID-19 Research Guidance page to register any IACUC related work as essential
- As noted above, Essential Research Activities may continue, including most notably work relating to COVID-19. The IBC has already reviewed and approved proposals on an expedited basis from researchers working directly in this field. The PI should:
Please share this communication with others on your research team who may not have received it.