Accessibility disclaimer: To obtain information contained in document files on this page in an accessible format please contact the Office of the Vice Provost for Research for Bloomington by phone: (812) 855-3931 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org or the Office of the Vice Chancellor for IUPUI by phone: 317-274-1020 or email: email@example.com.
Proposal Development Services
Strategize and strengthen your proposal.
IU's Proposal Development Services (PDS) collaborates with researchers to help plan, prepare, and manage applications for external funding.
Consultation and project coordination
- Reviewing the responsiveness of your proposal to a particular funding opportunity
- Identifying potential collaborators and project team members
- Working with the project lead to establish a timeline
- Providing iterative, reviewer-focused guidance and feedback
- Processing reviewers' comments during revision
- Organizing and managing the proposal preparation process
- Coordinating with IU's Office of Research Administration
- Identifying funding opportunities
- Proposal-writing seminars
- Networking and peer review workshops
- Information sessions about specific funding opportunities
- Events featuring funding agency leaders
1. Do I need to identify a specific funding opportunity when requesting support from PDS?
Yes, a specific opportunity should be provided on your service request form.
2. What if I’m not sure where to apply for research funding?
PDS hosts a monthly Funding Search Open House for faculty. This online workshop provides an overview of available resources for identifying internal and external funding opportunities. The workshop is most useful for early career faculty or those looking for new sources of funding.
3. How much do PDS services cost?
Services are available at no cost to IU faculty members.
4. Do you work only on proposals submitted to federal funding agencies?
While many of PDS-supported proposals are submitted to federal agencies (e.g. NSF, NIH, NEH), PDS specialists support faculty applying for funding from myriad sponsors including state programs, foundations, and corporations. PDS works collaboratively with the experts in IU's Corporate Relations and Foundation Relations, who provide additional support to faculty seeking private, nongovernmental funding.
5. I’m working on a resubmission. Are PDS services available to me?
Absolutely. PDS specialists can discuss how to address reviewers’ comments and incorporate suggestions into your revised proposal.
6. Will PDS assist me with my proposal for an internal funding program at IU?
No. Currently, services are available only for externally funded opportunities.
7. What’s the difference between the Office for Research Administration (ORA) and Proposal Development Services?
In a nutshell, ORA helps you make sure a proposal is accepted by the agency for review (compliance), and PDS helps you make sure a proposal is reviewed as favorably as possible (grantsmanship). In most cases, ORA approvals are required by IU. PDS is an optional, value-added service.
"This is the first time I've worked with PDS on a grant application. I found it is really helpful to have a clear timeline and to have a sense on how the application looks from a person who is not in the specific research area. My specialist's comments led to some crucial modifications to the proposal. I felt very fortunate to have access to the services provided by PDS. I cannot overstate my appreciation for their time and effort."
"PDS support was really important to me. As a first-time applicant to the NSF CAREER program, I greatly benefitted from PDS support, including workshops, resources, and information, as well as one-on-one consultation."
"In addition to a better final product, my consultant's involvement in the proposal development process reduced the overall stress involved in putting together a quality proposal within a short amount of time during a busy time of the semester. I am grateful that this service is available, and I will definitely recommend it to others and use it again in the future."
Request PDS support for your project
To take full advantage of these free services, contact PDS well in advance of your project deadline.
Email your completed service request form to Bloomington Proposal Development Services (firstname.lastname@example.org) at least 4-6 weeks in advance of the agency deadline and allow at least two months lead time for complex proposals.
Download Bloomington Service Request Form (Accessible 01/30/20)
Email your completed service request form to IUPUI Proposal Development Services (email@example.com) at least 6 months in advance of the agency deadline for complex, multi-component proposals, such as NIH P01 applications, and 8 weeks for smaller proposals, such as NIH R01 applications.
Download IUPUI Service Request Form (Accessible 05/28/19)
Explore professional development resources
Need help with a proposal?
Contact Proposal Development Services at IU Bloomington or IUPUI for help with planning and polishing your grant application before submission.
Phone: (812) 855-2869
Phone: (812) 856-4809
Phone: (317) 278-6506