Faculty Research Support Program—External Resubmission
About this opportunity
Jeffrey Zaleski, Associate Vice Provost for Sciences,email@example.com
Open. NOTE: While there is no specified submission deadline, applications must be submitted to OVPR within four months of receiving reviews from an external agency (federal, state, international, or private non-profit). If the final decision on an application to an external funding agency has been delayed beyond the four-month period, an exception to the deadline may be considered.
The FRSP External Resubmission program supports research projects that were previously submitted for, but did not receive, external funding from federal, state, international, or private nonprofit entities and whose likelihood of funding on resubmission would increase with the acquisition of additional data or proof of concept.
Eligible projects must be innovative and highly rated (overall excellent or very good) and be targeted for resubmission within one year of the start of FRSP - External Resubmission funding. The agency reviews of the submitted proposal must indicate that the project is sound, innovative, and close to funding.
Renewals and continuation projects will not be considered. The review process will involve faculty peers in the evaluation of the project and in the development of a successful resubmission.
- All IU Bloomington tenured and tenure-eligible faculty, research scientists, research center directors, and Medical Sciences faculty.
- Emeriti faculty who are still active in research are eligible. Some budgetary restrictions may apply. Contact your fiscal officer or the Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty and Academic Affairs for details.
- Visiting and adjunct faculty, staff scientists (support-oriented positions), postdoctoral research associates, and PIs with outstanding final grant reports from previously OVPR-funded projects are not eligible to apply.
- renewals and continuation projects
- proposals focused on the development of teaching or academic programs
- non-funded competitive renewal proposals. Funding for non-funded renewal proposals should be sought through the Bridge Funding program.
- proposals in areas supported by the New Frontiers in the Arts and Humanities Program
- proposals from commercial, industrial, and other for-profit entities
- The maximum amount that will be awarded for any project is $75,000.
- FRSP funding requires matching arrangements between OVPR (90%) and the faculty member’s home department, college, or school (10%).
- Budgets should be one-time amounts to be expended over a maximum of 12 months. The FRSP does not provide multiple-year awards or renewals.
- If a positive funding decision on the originally submitted external proposal is made during the period of FRSP funding, the amount of the FRSP award must be returned when external funding commences.
FRSP applications must be made in two phases:
PHASE 1 – SUBMISSION TO DEPARTMENT/SCHOOL/COLLEGE REVIEW COMMITTEE
- Submit the following to department chair (in schools without departments, the submission should be to the dean of the school): a two-page description of the research necessary to address the agency reviewers' concerns and strengthen the planned resubmission; a one-page budget with justification; and original external application and agency reviews.
- The department chair or dean will appoint a committee to perform an in-depth review of the submitted material. This committee should consist of at least two members of the applicant's school, department, or division and one member from outside the applicant's school, department, or division. The committee may suggest alternative or additional approaches.
- If the review committee positively indicates that the work to be performed will lead to a successful proposal within 12 months and the budget is appropriate, the application should be submitted to OVPR (see Phase 2 instructions). Proposals reviewed negatively should not be submitted to OVPR.
- OVPR will make the final funding decision based on its review.
- If funded by OVPR, the committee must commit to reviewing the proposal before resubmission to the same or another external agency.
- The department chair or dean may also ask the committee to mentor and advise the applicant to ensure that progress is being made toward resubmission.
- At the time of external resubmission, a copy of the resubmitted proposal must be sent to the Faculty Research Support Program at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PHASE 2 – SUBMISSION TO OVPR: APPLICATION COMPONENTS
Applicants must complete an electronic application, upload a completed budget worksheet, and attach other required materials to the electronic application. Please note page limitations.
- a list of all personnel that includes specific information (see FRSP-ER Guidelines in InfoReady) (one-page maximum)
- project description that includes specific information (see FRSP-ER Guidelines in InfoReady) (two-page maximum)
- budget justification that provides rationale for requested funds for all personnel, course release, materials, equipment, and travel, as well as any item whose purpose or cost computation is not self-evident (one-page maximum)
- biosketch (NIH format)
- letter of support from the department chair or dean that includes specific information (see FRSP-ER Guidelines in InfoReady)
- written review from the committee that includes specific information (see FRSP-ER Guidelines in InfoReady)
- original external application and agency reviews
- completed FRSP-ER Budget Worksheet (see InfoReady application)
Ready to apply?
Please submit the materials listed in Phase 1 (see above) to your department or school. Once Phase 1 is completed, please complete Phase 2 of the process using the InfoReady system.Apply for IU Internal Funding Opportunities through InfoReady