Conference and Workshop Travel Grants
About this opportunity
Sherry Knighton-Schwandt, Executive Director for Research Development,firstname.lastname@example.org
Up to $3,000
This program supports faculty participating in professional events that support the continuation of research, creative activity, and the scholarship of teaching in arts and humanities areas.
In order to allow adequate time for proposal review and planning, applications must be submitted no less than 12 weeks in advance of planned travel.
- All Indiana University tenured and tenure-eligible faculty are eligible to apply. Those employed at IU but not on the tenure-track, whose evaluation criteria include research or creative activity, are eligible to submit proposals with an explanation of the importance of research or creative activity to their evaluation in the letter of support from their chair or dean.
- Visiting and adjunct faculty, part-time faculty, post-doctoral fellows, and graduate students are not eligible.
- Because overall program funding is limited, faculty members are limited to one Conference and Workshop Travel Grant award every 18 months (calculated from the submission deadline of the most recent award, assuming no extensions have been requested and approved)
- Funding requests may not exceed $3,000.
- Funding may be used to support scholars and researchers to participate in or attend conferences, workshops, symposia, performances, exhibitions, and other professional development events related to their research, creative activity, or scholarship of teaching in these areas.
- Funds may not be used for hosting conferences, workshops, or similar symposia (see Campus Conference Hosting program for supporting such events).
- Priority will be given to proposals that articulate how participation in a formal professional event will enhance one’s current research or creative activity. Please also consider applying for research funds from the IU Presidential Arts & Humanities Research/Creative Activity/Scholarship of Teaching program; the College Arts & Humanities Institute (Bloomington); IUPUI Arts & Humanities Institute; or your campus research or faculty affairs office (regional campuses).
- Funds not spent within 18 months of award can be considered for a one-time six-month extension with a justification request for approval, after which time all remaining funds will be returned to the funding pool.
- Funds cannot be used to reimburse for expenses paid before the award is granted.
Applicants must complete an electronic application in IU's InfoReady system and upload a completed application form and budget worksheet.
Application sections include:
- presentation description or participation rationale (two-page maximum)
- completed Budget Worksheet
- brief budget narrative (one-page maximum)
- list of other funding sources being applied to the conference/workshop
- letter of support from head of the applicant’s department, division, center, or institute
- biosketch or brief cv (three-page maximum)