Faculty Assistance in Data Science
About this opportunity
David L. Taylor,email@example.com
Read about successful FADS partnerships in 2021
The Faculty Assistance in Data Science program provides faculty with access to expertise and assistance in advanced data analytics, visualization, and development for the purpose of catalyzing their research. This program pairs faculty from across the campus in any discipline with graduate students pursuing a M.S. in Data Science through the Luddy School of Informatics, Computing, and Engineering for summer research internships. These paid internships cover up to 150 hours of student effort on a faculty research project and are sponsored by the Office of the Vice Provost for Research and the University Graduate School. Internships will be awarded to students on a competitive basis and carefully matched to faculty projects using demonstrated competencies and interest in a given analytic area.
Preference will be given to projects that provide valuable learning experiences for the students, those which enable promising new or expanded research directions for the investigator, and those which are unlikely to be successful without this program.
Data science assistance is available in data visualization, database development and management, machine learning, natural language processing, network analysis, cloud and high-performance computing, data mining, and web and app development. A full list of available student competencies is accessible at https://ssrc.indiana.edu/about/consultants/data-science/index.html .
Any faculty member in a tenure-track or research scientist position at Indiana University Bloomington may apply. Previous recipients may reapply after 3 years with a new project.
Eligible as PIs
- All tenured and tenure‐eligible faculty members at IU Bloomington
- Research scientists and other non-tenure track faculty whose evaluation criteria are based on research activity
- Emeritus faculty
Not Eligible as PIs
- Visiting and adjunct faculty members
- Postdoctoral fellows and research associates
- Graduate students
Usage and time frame
The 150 hours of student effort may be distributed in any manner agreed upon by the faculty member and the student(s) — e.g., 15 hrs/week for 10 weeks. Student effort may go up to 20 hours/week.
Internships will start no sooner than May 9, 2022, and must finish by August 15, 2022, unless all parties agree to extend the collaboration beyond the FADS project period.
Applicants must complete an electronic application and upload a completed application form. Please note page limitations.
Application sections include:
- Summary of project (500-word maximum)
- Rationale for assistance in data analytics and visualization (200-word maximum)
- Specific competencies required, including programming languages if applicable (see https://ssrc.indiana.edu/about/consultants/data-science/index.html)
- Statement of benefit to the student (200-word maximum)
- Statement of information about other sources of funding, including whether you would be willing to sponsor all or part of a fellowship (e.g., through a grant or faculty research funds) should demand exceed the number of projects OVPR can support.
- Curriculum vitae (5-page maximum)