Bridge Funding Program - Bloomington
About this opportunity
$100,000 maximum total award: 70% from IU Research and 30% in matching funds
REQUIRED: Bridge Funding applications must be submitted through the IU InfoReady system. See link at bottom of page.
The Bridge Funding Program provides modest financial support for faculty research and scholarship during times when externally funded research programs are between grant cycles. Project funding may not exceed $100,000 total ($70,000 in IU Research Bridge Funding and $30,000 school/department match).
- IU tenured and tenure-eligible faculty, research scientists, and research center directors.
- Applicant must be an externally funded investigator whose project has not been renewed and who requires temporary support to retain key personnel and maintain project momentum until funding can be secured again from external sources.
- Project funding may not exceed $100,000. ($70,000 grant, $30,000 school match)
- Projects will be limited to one (1) year in duration.
- All bridge funding support will be composed of matching or cost-sharing arrangements between the faculty member’s home department, college, or school and IU Research.
- Criteria for funding are based on the potential for success in attracting external research funding to sustain or extend research and scholarly activities.
- The bridge program is not a pilot or seed funding program. Bridge funding is used to support ongoing externally funded research programs that have lost funding.
- Funds will not be granted for similar projects currently supported by other internal or external funding mechanisms at the campus or university level.
- Applications for a second Bridge for the same project or research will not be accepted.
PIs must complete an electronic application, upload a completed Bridge Funding Request Form (completed by dean’s office), and attach other required materials to the electronic application.
Application sections include:
Provided by the PI (uploaded to the online application system):
- Completed Bridge Funding Request Form (must be completed by the applicant’s college or school dean’s office)
- Budget clearly indicating contributions from each supporting unit
- Agency review(s)
Provided by the Dean’s office (uploaded to the online application system via the PI, or sent to firstname.lastname@example.org):
- A letter from the dean of the applicant’s college or school outlining:
- the need for bridge funding for the program
- the specific budgetary needs
- commitment for any matching funds or cost share
- a brief description of the research program
- how the research program fits the school’s research priorities
- past record of external funding
- efforts underway to secure external funding to sustain the program beyond the bridging period
- ability of the investigator to attain continued or new funding to sustain or extend research activities into the future