Bridge Funding Program - Bloomington
About this opportunity
Brea Perry, Interim Associate Vice President and Vice Provost for Research,firstname.lastname@example.org
REQUIRED: Bridge Funding applications must be submitted through the IU InfoReady system. See link at bottom of page.
The Bridge Funding Program at IU Bloomington provides modest financial support for faculty research and scholarship during times when externally funded research programs are between grant cycles.
- IU Bloomington tenured and tenure-eligible faculty, research scientists, and research center directors.
- Applicant must be an externally funded investigator whose project has not been renewed and who requires temporary support to retain key personnel and maintain project momentum until funding can be secured again from external sources.
- All bridge funding support will be composed of matching or cost-sharing arrangements between the faculty member’s home department, college, or school and IU Research.
- Criteria for funding are based on the potential for success in attracting external research funding to sustain or extend research and scholarly activities.
- The bridge program is not a pilot or seed funding program. Bridge funding is used to support ongoing externally funded research programs that have lost funding.
PIs must complete an electronic application, upload a completed Bridge Funding Request Form (completed by dean’s office), and attach other required materials to the electronic application.
Application sections include:
Provided by the PI (uploaded to the online application system):
- Completed Bridge Funding Request Form (must be completed by the applicant’s college or school dean’s office)
- Budget clearly indicating contributions from each supporting unit
- Agency review(s)
Provided by the Dean’s office (may be uploaded to the online application system by the PI or sent to email@example.com):
- A letter from the dean of the applicant’s college or school outlining:
- the need for bridge funding for the program
- the specific budgetary needs
- commitment for any matching funds or cost share
- a brief description of the research program
- how the research program fits the school’s research priorities
- past record of external funding
- efforts underway to secure external funding to sustain the program beyond the bridging period
- ability of the investigator to attain continued or new funding to sustain or extend research activities into the future