View full list, sorted by:
OPT-IN TO RESEARCH EMAILS
Receive regular funding update emails to keep you informed of internal and external funding opportunities — including limited submissions. To find out more and to subscribe, click the button below.
Indiana University requires an internal review and selection process for any funding opportunity that limits the number of pre-proposal or proposal submissions. Before applying for an opportunity with limited submission requirements, you must follow the limited submission process to secure authorization in order to submit on behalf of an Indiana University campus or Indiana University as a whole. The Vice President for Research, Jorge José, provides authorization for “per University” opportunities. To determine who provides “per campus” authorization for individual IU campuses, contact the campus representative listed below.
IDENTIFICATION AND NOTIFICATION PROCESS
Opportunities are identified through invitations, Internet searches, web services and historical (past) opportunities. Please be aware that the list may not be comprehensive. If you become aware of a funding opportunity with limited submission requirements that is not listed, please contact immediately with the program title, due date and URL. Detailed information about the internal competition process for limited funding opportunities are posted on this website. A weekly digest that contains limited and research funding opportunities is also utilized for broad distribution. Alerts are used if deadlines are urgent. Click here to subscribe. Contact your campus representative to find out if your campus uses another means of distribution as well.
DEFINITIONS OF LIMITATION
Often language used in calls for proposals/nominations can be ambiguous regarding who can apply by system, institution, campus, school, department and others. As such, the IU Limited Submissions coordinator contacts every limited opportunity agency for clarification. The following definitions are most common:
- "Per Campus" - limitation is specific to each IU campus
- "Per University" - limitation is specific to IU (all eight campuses combined)
- "Per DUNS" - limitation is specific to IUPUI as one institution AND to IUB and the Regional campuses (combined) as a separate second institution
- "Per School or Department" - limitation is specific to a school or department
Those interested in applying to a limited program should submit an internal application according to the instructions in the program summary on the website to the campus contact person found under CONTACT INFORMATION. In most cases, requirements for the internal application will mirror the requirements of the Agency to reduce duplication or extraneous paperwork. All internal applications will require at a minimum:
- 1-2 page Project Narrative
- A Letter of Support or Nomination from Chair or Dean
- Abbreviated CV or biographical sketch of the PI
Internal deadlines are chosen with the goal of allowing adequate time for the internal review of applications and the completion and submission of the final application through Grant Services and Administration to meet the funding agency receipt deadline. Internal applications will be reviewed based on the following criteria:
- Responsiveness to Program objectives in agency solicitation
- Relevance to University’s research objectives
- Presentation of project (clear plan of action, summary of project, collaborators to be included, grammar...)
“Per Campus” opportunity: Each campus should appoint a standing Campus Review Committee for Limited Submissions and conduct an internal competition to select or nominate a candidate or candidates to respond to the agency. The campus contact person will notify Grant Services and Administration and Limited Submissions of the committee’s selection(s). This process can generally take 2 to 4 weeks.
“Per University” opportunity: Each Campus Review Committee should follow the “per campus” internal competition process for accepted applications. After reviewing campus applications for merit and completeness, the committee’s selection(s) will be forwarded to Limited Submissions for the final review and selection process by the University deadline. The Office of the Vice Provost for Research at IUB, the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research at IUPUI, and the Academic Affairs office from the regional campus(es) will complete an impartial review to select the most competitive proposals for submission to the Vice President for Research for final approval and authorization. The Limited Submissions Coordinator will notify the applicants and Grant Services and Administration of the final selection(s). This process can generally take 4 to 6 weeks.
When one submission is allowed “per University”, only one application may be forwarded to Limited Submissions from each campus. When two or more submissions are allowed “per University”, two applications may be forwarded from each campus.
- In the event of a tight schedule or a short notification period for a “per University” opportunity, all interested candidates will be instructed to submit directly to Limited Submissions. The Chief of Staff to the Vice President for Research will convene and oversee a review committee with appropriate campus representation. In some cases, the application will be the final application. Please look at the program announcement carefully to see whether or not you will have a chance to revise your application before submission.
- If the opportunity is limited to a specific school or department, that school or department will work closely with the limited submission contact on your campus to coordinate the internal competition process.
- Grant renewals - Renewals will receive preference over new submissions. If PIs decide to submit a renewal, the limited opportunity will be posted as CLOSED and a competition will not be held.
- Grant resubmissions - Previously authorized applicants are not automatically authorized to resubmit a pre-proposal or proposal if an award was not secured from a past submission. Non-awarded PIs must go through the internal review and selection process again. In the project narrative, PIs should address concerns raised by the reviewers and how the concerns will be addressed in a resubmission.
Potential nominees must ensure they are aware of any additional requirements of the Sponsor beyond the internal competition. It is also the responsibility of nominees to contact the appropriate office for assistance to prepare and submit the full application to the sponsor (Grant Services and Administration or IU Foundation).
If a nominee is no longer able to apply for a limited submission opportunity, it is imperative that the nominee notifies the appropriate campus contact person immediately in order to allow another colleague the opportunity to move forward with a proposal.
AGENCY IS FINAL AUTHORITY
Every effort will be made to maintain current and accurate information within this website; however, the awarding agency’s posted information remains the final authority.
For inquiries or submissions, notify:
|Limited Submission||limsub[at]iu [dot] edu|
|Bloomington||Donna Carter||dkcarter[at]indiana [dot] edu||(812) 856-1368|
|East||Mary Blakefield||mblakefi[at]iue [dot] edu||(765) 973-8522|
|Fort Wayne||IPFW faculty members submit proposals for external funding through Purdue University and should consult Purdue's website for information about limited submission opportunities.|
|Indianapolis||Etta Ward||emward[at]iupui [dot] edu||(317) 278-8427|
|Kokomo||Candy Thompson||caanorma[at]iuk [dot] edu||(765) 455-9406|
|Northwest||TJ Stoops||tkstoops[at]iun [dot] edu||(219) 980-6832|
|South Bend||Erika Zynda||ezynda[at]iusb [dot] edu||(574) 520-4181|
|Southeast||Walter Ryan||wryan[at]ius [dot] edu||(812) 941-2539|
|Office of the Vice President for Research||Faith Hawkins||fhawkins[at]iu [dot] edu||(812) 856-3604|
For assistance with submitting Agency applications, contact:
|Grant Services||srsinfo[at]iupui [dot] edu||Indianapolis||(317) 278-3473|
|Grant Services and Administration||resdev[at]indiana [dot] edu||all other campuses||(812) 855-0516|
INTERNAL DEADLINE IS EXPIRED / PROGRAM IS STILL OPEN
Some expired internal deadlines may still be open for applications if fewer than the eligible number of preliminary application were received and the sponsor's deadline has not passed. Approval to apply to the sponsoring agency may be granted on a first come, first served basis. If you are interested in a “Per Campus” program, contact the appropriate campus representative listed above to determine if an opportunity is still available. Contact limsub[at]iu [dot] edu if it is a “Per University” program. A program showing a status of "Closed" is not accepting any additional internal applications.
In the event that a university submits more than the allowable number of applications in a limited submission program, all applications from that institution will most likely be disqualified! Therefore, it is imperative that you follow the limited submission process and secure proper authorizations.
We encourage researchers to collaborate with other groups in the IU system when possible. This gives breadth to the proposal and demonstrates the interdisciplinary approach becoming more popular with sponsoring agencies.
Click here to subscribe to weekly limited submissions funding alerts.