IU and affiliated institutions for which the IU IRB reviews research studies have specific requirements for who is eligible to serve as principal investigator on research studies.
Quick guide: PI Eligibility
Words to know
- Principal Investigator (PI) – responsible leader of a team of research personnel who has ultimate responsibility for the conduct of the research.
- Faculty sponsor – full-or part-time faculty employed by IU who engage in classroom and/or online instruction; supervise on-or off-campus internships, clinical experiences, or practica; or mentor students who are conducting their own research projects.
How it works
- Students are not permitted to serve as PI of their own research studies.
- All student projects, including masters theses, dissertations, and projects designed by medical residents and fellows, must have a faculty sponsor listed as PI on the IRB submission.
- All PIs, regardless of their affiliation with IU, must have an IU computing account. If you do not already have an IU computing account and are collaborating with an IU researcher or research team, you should request them to sponsor your affiliate account. If you need assistance, please contact the HRPP at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Principal investigator eligibility at Indiana University
The following academic appointee classifications ARE eligible to serve as principal investigators and/or faculty sponsors:
- Faculty with the following titles:
- Tenure-track appointments
- Associate Professor
- Assistant Professor
- Non-Tenure Track
- Lecturer appointments
- Senior Lecturer
- Clinical appointments
- Clinical Professor
- Associate Clinical Professor
- Assistant Clinical Professor
- Clinical Senior Lecturer
- Clinical Lecturer
- Professor of Practice
- Librarians with the following titles:
- Associate Librarian
- Assistant Librarian
- Administrative or special statuses with the following titles:
- Vice President
- Vice Chancellor
- Associate Dean
- Assistant Dean
- Research appointments
- Senior Scientist/Scholar
- Associate Scientist/Scholar
- Assistant Scientist/Scholar
Exceptions to these requirements can be requested from the University Director, HRPP. Please email email@example.com to request an exception.
Principal investigator eligibility at IU Health
A physician must be a member of the IU Health medical staff ("Active" status, "Associate" status, or "Provisional" status), as verified by the Medical Staff Office. Professionals such as physical therapists, pharmacists, nurses, and other IU Health staff require approval from their department leader or designated oversight council. IU Health nurses require signed approval from their local research council. Documentation of approval should be attached in the IRB application in Kuali Protocols.
Who to contact
For questions about PI eligibility, contact the Human Research Protection Program (HRPP) at firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-274-8289.