Research Equipment Fund
About this opportunity
Proposals will be reviewed competitively twice per year. Due dates for applications are October 1 and March 1 (or the next weekday thereafter). PIs may submit only one proposal per funding cycle but may indicate support for others. Proposals may be considered off-cycle under exceptional circumstances.
$4M for two competitions in FY23.
The fund provides support for purchasing research equipment on the Bloomington or Indianapolis campus, excluding IUSM, that is strategically necessary to support high-quality research, attract and retain research faculty, and generate external funding for IU Research.
Applicants must demonstrate how the equipment enhancement will benefit the research with respect to scholarship and external funding portfolios, as well as indicate how it will enhance the IU research profile.
All requests are expected to provide a minimum 25% cost share match from the faculty member’s home department, college, and/or school. The match may be from multiple sources. This cost share match may be waived or varied under exceptional circumstances.
- All tenured and tenure‐eligible faculty members at IU Bloomington and IU Indianapolis
- Research scientists and center directors at IU Bloomington and IU Indianapolis
- Medical Sciences faculty at IU Bloomington - Note: Faculty from IUSM on other campuses may participate in requests with Bloomington or Indianapolis faculty provided that they can contribute a proportionate share of necessary resources and have the approval of the IUSM Dean and the regional Center Director.
- Visiting and adjunct faculty members
- Staff scientists (support‐oriented positions) and postdoctoral research associates
- PIs with outstanding final grant reports from previously IU Research-funded projects
- Research projects from a group of faculty requiring the purchase of equipment or development of specific instrumentation that will enhance the capability of investigators to build and maintain novel fields of sustainable inquiry
- Projects with specific equipment needs by researchers in the sciences, arts, humanities, and social sciences
- Collaborative endeavors that involve use of the equipment by faculty between disciplines and across schools
- Projects requesting consumable supplies or FTE support
- Activities focused on the development of instructional equipment for academic programs
- Proposals from commercial, industrial, and other for-profit entities
All funds must be spent within six months of the award date. Minimum requests should be $15k and above. This amount includes a 25% match from the participating unit(s). Waiving of this cost share match will be considered under exceptional circumstances.
- Funds for research equipment purchased or constructed as part of a research program, facility, or center
- Service or custom installation costs within one year of receipt of funding
- Academic year or summer salaries (including sabbatical leave)
- Funding for students or postdocs
- IU faculty or staff as paid consultants
- Service contracts for existing equipment or contracts that extend beyond six months
- Travel to conferences
- Course release funds
- Compensation for collaborators from other IU campuses or institutions
Applicants must use Infoready to complete an electronic application, create a budget using the Excel budget worksheet template on the electronic application form, and attach the following as PDFs to the electronic application form.
- Letter(s) of support (chair/division head). Letters and reviews (if available) can be uploaded by the applicant or emailed to IU Research Grants at email@example.com:
- The impact of the equipment on the research outcomes of the unit
- Endorsement and rationale for funding and timing of the proposed project or example of type of projects enabled by the equipment
- A financial commitment totaling at least 25% (or negotiated percentage) of the final budget (can be from a variety of sources)
- Project description (five-page maximum; letters of commitment and support are not included in the five-page limit but are restricted to only three additional pages):
Must include these sections labeled as 1-3:
- Have you submitted this proposal for any other internal or external competitions? If answer is anything other than "no", explain.
- Describe the equipment to be purchased or developed within the context of the proposed research. How will the equipment be maintained over its lifetime?
- Describe in detail the research projects of the major users that the equipment will serve. How will use of the equipment lead to an enhancement of scholarship and contribute to the investigators' external funding portfolios?
- Briefly discuss use of the equipment by minor users along with their department and school affiliations.
- Discuss how the equipment improvement will enrich the IU research profile.
- funding requested from IU Research;
- an estimate of the total cost of the research equipment, accompanied, where possible, by a preliminary quote;
- estimated costs for maintenance beyond one year and staffing and how these costs will be covered; and
- other sources of funding, including financial participation by the relevant department(s) and/or school(s).
- Support—Proposals should include:
- letter(s) of support from faculty likely to use the equipment.
- Completed budget form with TOTAL Amount Requested from ALL funding sources, including IU Research and the required 25% matching funds
- Budget Justification (one-page limit)
- Key Personnel (one-page limit)
- Other Personnel (one-page limit)
- Biosketches for PI and Co-Pis (5-page maximum for each) (NIH/NSF format)