Release Time for Research
About this opportunity
varies by category
IUPUI maintains a robust research enterprise. This funding mechanism allows IUPUI faculty a “buy out” of teaching time to adequately prepare competitive proposals for quality research and scholarly activity.
- Category A is intended for tenured or tenure-track faculty to prepare high quality grant/contract proposals for submission to external funding agencies. Faculty in visiting ranks are not eligible. Applications must be accompanied by letters of support/approval from the Department Chair.
- Category B is intended for non-tenure track faculty who are full-time senior lecturers or clinical track faculty possessing terminal degrees relevant to their fields, and who have a desire to engage in research or creative activity in an area that directly relates to their teaching or service mission. A project currently supported by another internal or external funding mechanism is not eligible. Visiting faculty and research scientists are not eligible. Applications must be accompanied by letters of support/approval from the Department Chair.
- Category A will provide grants up to $10,000 per investigator to fund a “buy out” of up to 6 credit hours of teaching in a given semester, 3 credit hours in each of 2 consecutive semesters, or summer salary. The award will be limited to the actual amount required to secure teaching replacements or to pay one month summer salary based on the academic year salary.
- Category B will provide grants of up to $4,000 to the School of the recipient to pay for 3 credit hours of course release for the non-tenure track faculty to pursue the approved project. The grant period will not exceed one semester of partial course release. Lecturers or clinical track faculty on 12 month appointments may apply for released time during the summer session with permission from the department chair. The award will be limited to the actual amount required to secure teaching replacements during the academic year up to the grant limit.
- Applications for a second RTR award for the same project will not be accepted unless accompanied by evidence that the first RTR award resulted in the submission of a proposal for external funding that was based, in part, on the work accomplished as a result of the first RTR award.
Application sections include
- Applicant Information
- Research plan not to exceed five pages
- References cited
- Budget and justification
- Biosketch or CV not to exceed five pages, include funding history
- Letters of support from collaborators and department chair
- IRB, IACUC, and/or IBC forms if applicable
Ready to apply?
Apply to this program through the InfoReady portal. Download the Guidelines and Application form. Applications are to be submitted as one pdf file. Competitions close at 11:59pm on the deadline date. Deadlines that fall on Saturday or Sunday will be due the following Monday.
Apply for RTR funding