Release Time for Research
About this opportunity
February 1 and September 1
$10,000 (tenured or tenure-track); $4,000 (senior lecturers or clinical track)
This funding mechanism allows IUPUI faculty to buy out of teaching time to adequately prepare competitive proposals for quality research and scholarly activity.
- Category A is intended for tenured or tenure-track faculty to prepare high-quality grants or contract proposals for submission to external funding agencies. Faculty in visiting ranks are not eligible. Applications must be accompanied by letters of support/approval from the department chair.
- Category B is intended for non-tenure-track faculty who are full-time senior lecturers or clinical track faculty possessing terminal degrees relevant to their fields and who have a desire to engage in research or creative activity in an area that directly relates to their teaching or service mission. A project currently supported by another internal or external funding mechanism is not eligible. Visiting faculty and research scientists are not eligible. Applications must be accompanied by letters of support/approval from the department chair.
- Category A will provide grants up to $10,000 per investigator to fund a buy out of up to six credit hours of teaching in a given semester, three credit hours in each of two consecutive semesters, or summer salary. The award will be limited to the actual amount required to secure teaching replacements or to pay one month summer salary based on the academic year salary.
- Category B will provide grants of up to $4,000 to the school of the recipient to pay for three credit hours of course release for the non-tenure-track faculty to pursue the approved project. The grant period will not exceed one semester of partial course release. Lecturers or clinical track faculty on 12 month appointments may apply for released time during the summer session with permission from the department chair. The award will be limited to the actual amount required to secure teaching replacements during the academic year up to the grant limit.
- Applications for a second RTR award for the same project will not be accepted unless accompanied by evidence that the first RTR award resulted in the submission of a proposal for external funding that was based, in part, on the work accomplished as a result of the first RTR award.
Application sections include:
- Cover page
- Project Plan not to exceed five pages
- References cited
- Budget and Justification
- Biographical Sketch or CV not to exceed five pages, include funding history
- Letters of support from collaborators and department chair
- IRB, IACUC, and/or IBC forms if applicable