New Frontiers Exploratory Travel Fellowships
About this opportunity
Faith Kirkham Hawkins, Associate Vice President for Strategic Research Initiatives,email@example.com
Oct. 15, 2018; Dec. 17, 2018; Feb. 15, 2019; April 15, 2019
$5,000 maximum award
New Frontiers Exploratory Travel Fellowships support national and international travel for faculty pursuing new and innovative research projects.
- All IU tenured and tenure-eligible faculty are eligible to apply. Those employed at IU but not on the tenure-track, whose evaluation criteria include research or creative activity, are eligible to submit proposals with an explanation of the importance of research or creative activity to their evaluation in the letter of support from their chair or dean.
- Visiting and adjunct faculty, part-time faculty, postdoctoral fellows, and graduate students are not eligible.
- Because overall New Frontiers funding is limited, multiple awards for the same project are not possible. For the same reason, faculty members are limited to one Exploratory Travel Fellowship award every 18 months (calculated from the submission deadline of the most recent award, assuming no extensions have been requested and approved).
- Funding requests may not exceed $5,000.
- Funding is available to support national and international travel for scholars and researchers pursuing new and innovative research or artistic projects in the arts and humanities. The grants support travel to museums, libraries, laboratories, art galleries, and cultural sites; travel and participation in conferences, workshops, symposia, and performances; and visits to collaborators.
- To allow adequate time for proposal review and subsequent travel planning, applications must be submitted no less than 12 weeks in advance of planned travel.
- Exploratory Travel Fellowships prioritize travel that is a crucial element of new projects that are themselves potentially significant to the larger scholarly or creative community.
- Travel to present or support work that is already well advanced is not eligible for support.
- Travel to give conference presentations of exploratory work, or to participate in conferences that have limited impact in the field have low priority.
- Faculty members are limited to one Exploratory Travel Fellowship award every 18 months (calculated from the submission deadline of the most recent award).
- Projects will be limited to one year in duration.
- Funds may not be used for hosting conferences, workshops, or similar symposia (see New Currents opportunity for supporting such events).
Applicants must complete an electronic application in InfoReady and upload a completed application form and budget worksheet.
Application sections include:
- project description (two-page maximum)
- completed Budget Worksheet
- budget justification (one-page maximum) clarifying specific cost estimates (please use U.S. State Department for international travel and GSA for domestic travel, for maximum per diem rates)
- letter of support from head of the applicant's department, division, center or institute (may be included in the application form or emailed to New Frontiers at newfron@.iu.edu)
- biosketch or brief cv (three-page maximum)