Major Scientific Equipment Fund (Bloomington campus)
About this opportunity
March 1, June 1, October 1
Three times a year
$500,000 and above
The Bloomington Campus Major Scientific Equipment Fund provides support for purchasing major scientific equipment on the Bloomington campus that is strategically necessary to support high quality scientific research, attract and retain research faculty, and generate external support for IU research.
For the purpose of this fund, “major scientific equipment” is equipment (including major upgrades), other than supercomputing resources, that is used in STEM research and costs at least $500,000. (Support for supercomputing is available from other sources and is not provided by this fund.)
Faculty from IUPUI and IUSM may participate in requests with Bloomington colleagues provided that they can contribute a proportionate share of necessary resources and have the approval of their dean(s) and/or chancellor.
- IU Bloomington faculty
- Faculty from IUPUI and the IU School of Medicine may participate in requests with Bloomington colleagues provided they can contribute a proportionate share of necessary resources and have the approval of their dean(s) and/or chancellor.
- Equipment that costs at least $500,000
- Applications should include a preliminary quote
- Applications may include costs for equipment, installation (including any necessary building modifications), and up to one year of maintenance/adjustment
- Applications should identify estimated costs for maintenance beyond one year and essential staffing and how these costs will be covered
Applications should not exceed five pages. Application sections include:
- Need: including significance of research that will be facilitated by the equipment; why the equipment is necessary; why need cannot be met by other equipment; which faculty or faculty positions will use the equipment; and likely strategic impact of IU acquiring the equipment
- Other sources of funding: external and other relevant IU units
- Support: from faculty users, department chairs, school/college dean(s)