IUPUI Arts and Humanities Internal Grant (IAHI)
About this opportunity
varies by category
varies by category
The IAHI Grant Program is designed to enhance the research and creative activity mission of IUPUI by supporting research projects and scholarly activities that are conducted by arts and humanities faculty. The program is intended to stimulate existing and new research and creative activity and to support faculty in becoming competitive in securing external funding and sponsorship.
The program has five categories of funding. They are:
- Small Travel Grants for Conferences and Exhibitions: up to $500 to support travel to a conference or exhibition related to a research or creative project. Applicants may receive only one award per year.
- Event Support Grants: up to $1,000 to support a public event at IUPUI related to a research or creative project. Applicants may receive only one award per year.
- Research/Creative Activity Grant: up to $5,000 for travel, equipment, materials, space, hourly assistance, etc. Applicants may apply and receive this grant on a yearly basis.
- Matching Grant for Research/Creative Activity: up to $15,000 total project that may be used for things such as release time, summer salary, research assistant support, or a research workshop or conference, as well as incidental expenses. This grant requires a 1 to 2 match from the school, department, and/or center sponsoring the faculty (i.e. $10,000 grant, $5,000 school). Salary requests are allowed and cannot exceed one month of salary per person. A matching grant recipient is eligible to apply for a new matching grant no sooner than two years from the previous grant proposal submission.
- Collaborative Grant for Research/Creative Activity: up to $30,000 to support research projects and scholarly activities that are conducted by a team of two or more arts and humanities faculty from different units on campus. Funds might be used for things such as release time, summer salary, research assistant support, or a research workshop or conference, as well as incidental expenses. A Collaborative Grant recipient is eligible to apply for a new Collaborative Grant no sooner than two years from the previous grant award. Funding preference in this category will be given to projects that correspond to one of the following themes: Social Justice and the Urban Environment or Global Exchange and a Changing Planet.
- All full-time tenured and tenure-eligible faculty from all schools and units at IUPUI.
- Under certain circumstances, non-tenure-track faculty members whose evaluation criteria include research or creative activity may also be eligible with an explanation in the letter of support from their chair or dean.
- An associate member (or non-eligible member) of the IUPUI faculty can be a participant in a grant in collaboration with a PI who is an eligible member of the IUPUI faculty.
- Visiting faculty members
- Associate faculty members
- Postdoctoral fellows
- See Categories.
- Funds will not be granted for a project currently supported by another internal funding mechanism unless a case is made in justifying the complementary funding.
- All grants are intended for support of research and scholarly activity, not for support of teaching and/or service activities. Scholarship of teaching may be supported under this grant program, if it has strong and clearly articulated research outcomes.
- Projects will be limited to one (1) year in duration.
- An investigator may not serve as PI or Co-PI on more than one IAHI grant proposal in a given round.
- Applications will be judged on the merit of the proposed research or creative activity, qualifications of the applicant, significance of the research to the field, the potential for additional external funding, and the project’s importance to the individual’s future research plans. Applications for new projects are encouraged.
Application sections include:
- Cover page
- Project Plan not to exceed five pages
- References cited
- Budget and Justification
- Biographical Sketch or CV not to exceed five pages, include funding history
- Letters of support from collaborators and department chair
- IRB, IACUC, and/or IBC forms if applicable
Ready to apply?
Categories A and B
Submission deadlines: OpenSubmit online here
Categories C, D, and E
Submission deadlines: October 15 and February 15Apply for IU Internal Funding Opportunities through InfoReady