IUPUI Arts and Humanities Institute (IAHI) Research and Creative Activity Grants
About this opportunity
March 31, 2023
The IAHI Research and Creative Activity Grant Program exists to support campus-wide attainment of excellence in research and creative activity in the arts, humanities, and qualitative social sciences. The program is intended to stimulate existing and new research and creative activity and to support faculty in becoming competitive in securing external funding and sponsorship.
- All full-time tenured and tenure-eligible faculty from all schools and units at IUPUI are eligible to apply as PIs. Under certain circumstances, non-tenure-track faculty members whose evaluation criteria include research or creative activity may also be eligible to serve as PIs with an explanation in the letter of support from their chair or dean.
- Visiting and associate faculty members and post-doctoral fellows are not eligible to serve as PIs. However, all IUPUI faculty are eligible to be participants on a grant proposal through collaboration with a PI who is an eligible member of the IUPUI faculty.
- up to $10,000 for research travel, equipment, materials, space, research assistant support, release time, one month summer salary for faculty on 10 month appointments, etc.
- This grant may not be used to fund conferences or conference travel.
- This grant is intended to support a broad range of research and creative activity in the arts and humanities as well as qualitative projects in the social sciences.
- All grants are intended for support of research and creative activity, and not for support of teaching and/or service activities. Scholarship of teaching may be supported under this grant program if it has strong and clearly articulated research outcomes.
- Projects will be limited to 12 months in duration.
- Funds will not be granted for a project currently supported by another internal funding mechanism unless a case is made in justifying the complementary funding.
- With the exception of the IAHI Summer Academy grant, an investigator may not serve as PI on more than one IAHI grant proposal in a given year.
- Matching funds are not required for this program.
- A grant recipient may apply and receive this grant no sooner than six months after the completion of a previous Research and Creative Activity Grant.
- Applications will be judged on the merit of the proposed research or creative activity, qualifications of the applicant, significance of the research to the field, the potential for additional external funding, and the project’s importance to the individual’s future research plans. Applications for new projects are encouraged.
- Grant programs do not provide retroactive funding.
Application sections include
- Applicant Information
- Research plan not to exceed five pages
- References cited
- Budget and justification
- Biosketch not to exceed five pages, include funding history
- Short memo of support from collaborators
- Short memo from head if requesting course release
- IRB, IACUC, and/or IBC forms if applicable
- Response to reviewer comments on prior proposal resubmissions
Ready to apply?
Apply to this program through the InfoReady portal. Download the Guidelines and Application form. Applications are to be submitted as one pdf file. Competitions close at 11:59pm on the deadline date. Deadlines that fall on Saturday or Sunday will be due the following Monday.
Apply for IAHI Research and Creative Activity Grants