International Research Development Fund (IRDF)
About this opportunity
varies by category
The International Research Development Fund enhances the international research and scholarly activity focus of the IUPUI academic mission. Generally, an IRDF grant serves as venture capital to stimulate additional funding for international research and scholarly activity that has strong potential to generate indirect cost recovery from extramural sources.
The fund has five categories of grants. They are:
- International Research and Scholarly Activity Program Initiation: up to $15,000 to support international research and scholarly activity program initiation efforts, not maintenance of existing international programs. New initiations as well as existing partnerships adding new components will be considered.
- Small International Research and Scholarly Activity Travel Grant: up to $3,000 for travel necessary to initiate new partnerships activities. Preference given for travel to key international partner institutions.
- Supplement for Residence at Key Partner Institutions in Support of Research and Scholarly Activity: up to $5,000, generally in the form of a sabbatical or grant supplement to encourage and oversee partnership activities, visits, and exchanges while in residence.
- School or Department Internationalization: up to $5,000 to a department or school to spend a year developing a comprehensive internationalization plan supporting research and scholarly activity, in collaboration with IUPUI’s Office of International Affairs and the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research.
- Innovative Use of Technology for Internationalization: up to $5,000 to faculty for making use of interactive video or various web platforms to advance the internationalization of research or the classroom.
- All full-time faculty within a unit located on the IUPUI campus
- Faculty in visiting ranks
- Associate faculty members
- Research scientist ranks
- See categories above.
- Faculty salaries
- Funds will not be granted for a project currently supported by another internal funding mechanism.
- Projects will be limited to one (1) year in duration.
- An investigator may not serve as PI on more than one proposal in a given round and may apply for only one category.
Application sections include:
- Cover page
- Budget and justification
- Research plan not to exceed five pages
- References cited
- Biosketch or CV not to exceed five pages, include funding history
- Letters of support from collaborators and department chair
- IRB, IACUC, and/or IBC forms if applicable
- Reviewer comments to prior IRDF application if applicable