Faculty Fellowship for Research in the Social Sciences
About this opportunity
Brea L. Perry,email@example.com
David L. Taylor,firstname.lastname@example.org
Single course release
This program provides protected time for social science faculty to pursue research that is highly innovative, timely, and/or interdisciplinary. IU Bloomington Faculty Research Fellows will receive a single course release to pursue a research project in the social sciences. Preference will be given to projects that require substantial startup resources in the form of protected time and investigator effort. This includes projects that represent promising new research directions for the investigator or pilot data collection to increase competitiveness for external funding.
Eligible as PIs
- All tenured and tenure‐track faculty members at IU Bloomington
Faculty are strongly encouraged to consult with the chair of their department and the associate dean for research for their unit to obtain permission prior to applying.
Not Eligible as PIs
- Non-tenure track faculty
- Visiting and adjunct faculty members
- Postdoctoral fellows and research associates
- Graduate students
- Emeritus faculty
- Previous awardees of IU Bloomington funds for the same or highly similar projects
Usage and timing
The chair of the applicant’s department, in consultation with the relevant associate dean, specifies the semester during which the applicant may receive the course release, depending on departmental needs. Applications for fellowships are always for the following academic year.
Recipients are exempt from teaching but not from other departmental duties. Fellowship funding for course releases will be based on departmental need but will not exceed $10,000 per course. The fellow must remain in residence unless they are required to travel for research.
IU Bloomington Faculty Research Fellowships cannot be combined with any other funding, from either internal or external sources, such that total course releases for that academic year would be more than two. Successful applicants for fellowships and their department chairs are requested to notify the Bloomington Associate Vice Provost for Social Sciences immediately before utilization of the award, if the candidate has received another award for the same project. The Associate Vice Provost reserves the right to reassign awards accordingly.
Faculty members cannot apply to this program more than once with the same project idea. Previous recipients may reapply after three years with a new project.
Exception: Course releases that are awarded uniquely—sabbatical semesters, for example, or administrative leaves earned at the end of administrative service—can be combined with IU Bloomington Faculty Research Fellowships within the academic year.
Applicants must complete an electronic application and upload a completed application form. Please note page limitations.
Application sections include:
- Summary of project (1,000-word maximum)
- Should contain the following sections: Significance, Innovation, Methods/Approach, Timeline, Plans for External Funding (if any)
- Curriculum vitae (5-page maximum)
- Rationale for course release (250-word maximum)
- Statement that includes appointed teaching load and number of graduate and undergraduate courses taught in the past three years
- Letters of support from the department chair and research dean, including an endorsement of the course release