PLEASE NOTE: Due to high demand, registration for this event has been closed. If you would like to be placed on a waiting list, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.
How do you explain what you do to your neighbor, or legislator, or prospective donor? What's the best way to use social media professionally? What are your key messages when the media calls? You'll get answers during "Talking about your work to non-experts," an interactive, informative workshop offering skills, tools, and resources to help you expand your communication about your work.
When: Friday, May 17, 2019, 8:30 am-3:15 pm
Where: Indiana Memorial Union, Georgian Room, IU Bloomington
- 8:30-9 am: Arrival, checking in
- 9-9:15 am: Welcome, Faith Kirkham Hawkins, associate vice president, Office of Vice President for Research, and Framing the Day, Jim Ansaldo, IU Bloomington research scholar and accredited trainer by the Alan Alda Center for Communicating Science
- 9:15-9:45 am: Answering “What Do You Do?” in 60, 30, 10 Seconds, Jim Ansaldo
- 9:45 - 11 am: Storytelling Techniques for Everyone, Elaine Monaghan, reporter, writer, strategic communicator, and professor of practice at The Media School
- 11-11:15 am: Break
- 11:15 - 12:15 pm: Communicating Science to Policymakers, Gabriel Filippelli, professor of earth sciences and director of Center for Urban Health at IUPUI, also former Jefferson Science Fellow, U.S. Department of State, and Steve Vigdor, professor emeritus of physics at IU Bloomington, former associate director for nuclear and particle physics at Brookhaven National Laboratory, and member of the Legislative Advocacy Committee for Concerned Scientists at IU Bloomington
- 12:15-12:45 pm: Lunch – Using Creative Arts to Tell a Research Story, Janet Carpenter, associate dean for research and Distinguished Professor, IU School of Nursing, also creator of the "Hot flashes? Cool!" exhibit
- 12:45– 1:40 pm: Social Media: How to Use It, panel discussion including NiCole Keith (@nicolekeithphd), professor of kinesiology at IUPUI, Paul Macklin (@MathCancer), associate professor of intelligent systems engineering at IU Bloomington; Clayton Norman, IU senior social media and digital marketing specialist, moderator
- 1:40-1:50: Break
- 1:50-2:50 pm: What Do You Say When a Reporter Calls? Working with the Media, Nicole Wilkins, IU executive director of research communications; John Schwarb, senior news and media specialist and content strategist; Kevin Fryling, senior news and media specialist in the sciences
- 2:50-3:15 pm: Reflection/Evaluation, Jim Ansaldo
This free, university-wide professional development opportunity is offered by the IU Office of the Vice President for Research, IU Communications, and other partners.
For more information, contact email@example.com.