Registration for this event is now closed.
Whether you're meeting with a legislator, a donor, a colleague, or a student, clear and engaging communciation is key. Join trained facilitators Jim Ansaldo and Krista Hoffmann-Longtin for an enlightening, interactive morning during which you'll glean insights, tips, and methods for managing jargon and complexity, getting to the point, and making a real connection with your listener. You'll also learn about tools and resources that can help as you expand your communication skills. Lunch is provided, too!
When: Wednesday, November 6, 2019, 8:30 am-1 pm
Where: IUPUI Campus Center, Room 450C, IUPUI
- 8:30-9 am: Arrival, checking in
- 9-9:30 am: Introduction to the day, Jim Ansaldo, IU Bloomington research scholar, and Krista Hoffmann-Longtin, IUPUI assistant professor of communication studies and assistant dean in the IU School of Medicine Office of Faculty Affairs and Professional Development. Both are accredited trainers by the Alan Alda Center for Communicating Science.
- 9:30-9:50 am: Building empathy
- 9:50-10:10: Managing jargon
- 10:10-10:20 am: Break
- 10:20-10:40 am: Managing message complexity
- 10:40-11:10 am: Putting it together
- 11:10-12 noon: Refine and practice
- 12-12:40 pm: Lunch and panel discussion on Talking to Policymakers
- 12:40-1 pm: Reflection and wrap up
This free, university-wide professional development opportunity is offered by the IU Office of the Vice President for Research and other partners.
For more information, contact email@example.com.