IU’s effort certification document was developed to comply with federal requirements to account for people paid through sponsored research accounts.
The periods covered by effort certification documents vary according to salary appointment type:
Academic 10-pay appointments:
Three effort certification periods per year
- Fall (A01)—August 1 through December 31
- Spring (A02)—January 1 through May 31
- Summer (A03)—May 1 through August 31
Two six-month effort certification periods per year
- Fall (B01)—July 1 through December 31
- Spring (B02)—January 1 through June 30
Monthly and academic 12-pay appointments:
Two six-month reporting periods per year
- Fall (M01)—July 1 through December 31
- Spring (M02)—January 1 through June 30
Effort report processing begins 30 days after the close of the effort certification period.
The effort report generation schedule for each fiscal year is as follows: